Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2008

Shruggy Thing


This was a super fast knit project - don't you just lurve big needles and thickish yarn? It's my take on Shrug This by Toni Kayser Weiner from the book One Skein Wonders.

It's a birthday present for a friend and I modified it quite heavily as my friend is larger than it seemed to be. I also had a check out on Ravely and there were several larger people there who had adapted it as the sizing was coming up on the smaller size. So the first thing I did was to change the needles from 6.5mm to 10mm. Not a fan of large needles usually but hey do have their place. Then I used some of the random yarn that I have in my stash. It was a lovely rich red boucle that I have no idea what it is. That was held double and probably came up to something like an aran/worsted weight.

I kept the same number of cast on stitches but instead of the ribbing I did moss/seed stitch. The top part was knitted as per the instructions and I cast off the sleeves as directed but then I added 5 stitches under each arm to add some fullness there. The top was then continued until it was 15" and not the 11" in the book.

I think it turned out quite well but perhaps a little too floppy so if I were to do it next time (which I probably won't) I would drop a couple of needle sizes and increase the number of cast on stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to have a little look at my blog - don't be shy, tell me what you think