Pages

Sunday 9 May 2010

Floppy Hat

The summer is trying to make an appearance here in Sheffield but that are many days of cold cloudy weather. Since I have been trying to get my garden ready and planted up with veggies, I realised that I needed a sun hat for those days when the sun actually managed to break through so that the tops of my ears don't get burnt. I have promised myself that I do not need to buy any more yarn so decided that it had to come from my stash and found this double knit cotton that I bought a few years back in Lidl as some knockdown price.

After hunting on Ravelry for all of 5 minutes I came up with the Sunshine and Lollipop design by Alison Reeves and my mind was made up.

From finished things

It's a nice and simple pattern that is well presented and the bonus is that Alison not only gives you the size of an adult but also gives you the instructions on how to make it to fit no matter what size head it's for and even better you don't have to do any of that irritating swatching. I do swatch if it's a garment but for socks, hats, scarves and gloves I really can't be bothered.

I used Zettl Colorado for the main part and some Sirdar Snuggly Babay Bamboo for the band and the underside of the brim on 3.75mm needles. I don't really like the colourway of the Colorado but since I'm not going to see it I really don't care. Once it was finished I realised that I should have gone down a size in needles as it was a bit loose and not have made the sides so long but there was no way I was going to rip this back. Anyway I now have a slightly silly floppy hat that will keep the sun from my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to have a little look at my blog - don't be shy, tell me what you think